Navigation
News
GoldCoastCB.com/forum/ -- October 22, 2017, 10:03:51 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lead Acid Battery Desulfator Project  (Read 12367 times)
Thunderbird
Global Moderator

« on: December 08, 2012, 07:26:20 PM »

Old Chopper has been workin' on makin' a desulfator, Im up to mark 7 so far and they seem to actually work well, I have 3 "out there" on beta test :p

The idea is to generate short sharp high voltage (around 50 volts) high current (greater than 30 Amps) pulses that are fed to the battery to "shock" the sulfate crystals off the lead plates.

Here is a screen shot of the open circuit voltage of mark 7 as you can see, theres around 50 odd volts (peak) there.

And now connected to a fairly crappy and old 12 volt 9AH gel cell, the voltage has dropped but thats ok, it means its working. Its the CURRENT peak we are interested in now.

I used a 0.22 Ohm 5 Watt resistor (lowest value I could easilly find)  in series and measured the voltage accross it with the CRO It was at a peak reading of 11 volts, that means 50 AMPS of peak current! The peak voltage and peak current will drop as the battery improves.

If anyone is interested in more, or wants to have a crack at making one, let me know.  Australia Flag Smoking

"If a clutered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign."  Albert Einstein

Well, I have the cluttered desk, I guess that's a start!
cOOter
Supporting Member

!!! disco chicken !!!

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:59:30 PM »

confused2 arrhhhhh ya giving away our money making idea. Make big dollars from dead batterys to later buy big 1kw uhf amps with.

LOL, that little battery seems to be coming back to life. I'll do an update tomorrow.

Australia Flag Smoking
GoldCoastCB.com/forum/
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:59:30 PM

Thunderbird
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 08:09:08 PM »

Cool, Im very interested in how the little bugger goes. I have 2 down in the Skunkworks working away again on test. Im trying to find a way of telling when the battery has got as good as it can be after the process. I also found a coupla thermistors to try and make Mark 8 version with "feedback" so it can adjust itself to suit the condition of the battery. More improvements are in the pipeline, like a "computer controlled" version using either a PIC 16F84 or an Arduino (because I have some of each of them and need an excuse to play with 'em)(Google that stuff  toothy12)

Last time I got bored around this time 'o the year, I built a "computer controlled" Christmas tree star, thing still works, I'll video it later and bung it up on youtube, it uses a PIC chip and a dunny load of different coloured LED's mounted in an old plastic star thing.
I WAS going to make a string 'o Christmas lights that go to music with my Arduino, but I (as usual) got sidetracked.  Tears
See what happens when Nerds get bored  Tears Ow well havin an early nite tonite, buggered meself up muckin about in the shed.  Smoking cya Ahh NERDS.

"If a clutered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign."  Albert Einstein

cOOter
Supporting Member

!!! disco chicken !!!

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »

12PM Update: I notice the led is off now while the battery charger is still running.

Led will light for a second while connecting it back up though.

Battery is at 12v with no leads at all connected.

I think from memory I tried to charge that one another time but it never did shit and stayed at 5v.

No smoke yet  Smoking
GoldCoastCB.com/forum/
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 01:02:15 PM

Thunderbird
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 03:23:42 PM »

Its good that the battery is sitting at 12 volts. I gather thats the really bad looking battery?

The desulfator needs a really good and solid connection to the battery terminal. I have found that as I desulfate some batteries, I get some corrosion appearing on one terminal, check to see if thats happening.

The light should be on and thne device should sing a bit as well, if you cant hear it, a test is to bung an AM radio, like what we used to listen to 4GG on near it, you should hear the pulses from the device on the radio when its tuned off station.

No smoke is good too! I gather the desulfator didnt get too hot eh?
 cya

cOOter
Supporting Member

!!! disco chicken !!!

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »

Just went up and had a look.

Yeah it's on that shitty old looking battery.

The light is on, but not as bright I thinks it was originally.

Relay kicks on when the terminals go back on. Seems all good.

Quick voltage reading shows 12.40v now which is up more, but slowly goes down while watching for 30 seconds or more.

Ow well, it's above it's stubborn 5volts

Warm all across the whole battery side like it's cooking away OK

Bike
GoldCoastCB.com/forum/
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 04:07:23 PM

Thunderbird
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 04:31:44 PM »

Yep sounds good to me, I just checked on mine as well, still chugging along and charging up. Might have to wait a few days, maybe weeks, but its doing the job so far!  Smoking

cOOter
Supporting Member

!!! disco chicken !!!

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 03:38:54 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q47Qq4lTsgo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">101212 desul update</a>

2pm, 10/12/12 check up.
Thunderbird
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 05:05:53 PM »

Looks to me like the desulfator is working.

The bubbles are ok, but be careful as they are hydrogen and oxygen bubbles, and you know what happens if ya have a spark near that lot!

I have a couple of suggestions: bung a car tail light bulb in series with that batttery charger to limit the current the battery can take. a 21 watt light bulb (the average tail light bulb) will allow around 2 amps and will be a bit safer on the battery whilst its being desulfated, I am using a charger with around 1 amp output on one battery and 1/2 amp on another. The desulfator only draws around 1/10th of that. Better still if you can use one of the bulbs out of a car that are around 10 watts.

Patience grasshopper the desulfator works at around 1/2 kilo worth of battery per day, and you cant hurt it by leaving the desulfator on it too long, it'll just flatten it eventually unless to trickle charge it as well.

If one part of the battery is quite a bit warmer than another, it can mean a shorted cell by dendrites, load up the battery with a headlight bulb on high and low beams together and discharge it down to 10.5 volts. After that, trickle charge it back up with the desulfator connected.

book1 icon_thumright Smoking cya

cOOter
Supporting Member

!!! disco chicken !!!

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLofA1UUiVs" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">PROJECT: Lead Acid Battery Desulfator 12/12/12/ Update</a>

All 6 cells...ow well...I cover it in the video  Smoking
Thunderbird
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 07:19:17 PM »

The brightness of the LED means that the battery is pretty flat and needs more work., and also that the battry charger is putting out too many volts and possibly cooking the battery.

If a meter accross the battery shows more than about 14.5 volts its too high.

Try wiring a car tail light bulb in series with 1 lead of the charger to limit the current. You dont want the cells gassing very much at all.

Next time you want to discharge the battery, monitor it and stop discharging at at 10.5 volts. Use a couple of headlight bulbs to do the discharge.

It will take a LONG time to work on the really tired battery, like 2 weeks or more, and the best way to tell how the battery is getting on is to read the voltage accross it after its been charged and desulfated. Leave the charger and desulfator disconnected for 10 minutes to bleed off surface charge, then measure the battery voltage, over 13 volts is good, 13.8 volts is great, lower than that, more desulfating required.

If any battery under charge has hot spots along the sides, the hot spot probably indicates a shorted cell. You can try to repair it by discharging with the 2 headlight bulbs until the battery drops to 10.5 volts than recharge.

Im about to do exactly that with some of my batteries later this week. Im going to use some old jug elements I found in the skunkworks and drop 'em in some water to draw 50 to 100 amps out of the car battery.  thumbsup sign10 no  Smoking near the batteries  Tears

Oh and 1 more thing, at supercrap auto they have these battery doodads that measure the specific gravity of the acid, its the most accurate way of knowing the state of charge of a wet lead acid cell, I think I paid $5 for mine.

Thunderbird
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »

It seems cOOter has blown up the "cOOter Proof" desulfator!

I am thinking this is what Im expecting to find  sign10

Oh well, it IS under beta test, revision 8 version coming soon.

cya Smoking

Thunderbird
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 08:28:04 PM »

Update:

I used a car headlight bulb to discharge my little collection of SLA batteries. Funny thing, one battery was at 10 odd volts, wouldnt go higher, but when discharging it would go at times up to 12 volts. Seems that high current discharging does actually burn of dendrites that can short out the cells. Another one did much the same thing, but started at only about 8 odd volts.

I have them on charge once again, and the trusty mark 7 desulfating them.

I tried bunging mark 7 straight across my car battery in the car still connected, it actually did improve the battery, I only left it on for a coupla hours while I was farting about but it did make a difference even in that short time.

Mark 8 with thermistor feedback is going to be built in the next coupla days or so, went to Jaycar and got some goodies.  thumbsup cya Smoking

cOOter
Supporting Member

!!! disco chicken !!!

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 09:41:51 PM »

Yeah farking odd to witness a battery go up in voltage with a 60 watt bulb connected and drum roll >> NO charger connected.

Smoking
Thunderbird
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 10:47:05 PM »

I think we best keep this news to ourselves, we've obviously invented a perpetual motion battery, never needs charging!  happy4 confused2 Smoking

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to:  

Anone designed by pixelslot.