Navigation
News
GoldCoastCB.com/forum/ -- October 24, 2017, 05:53:44 PM
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DIY Remote Secuirty Cam  (Read 8653 times)
VGI249

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2016, 08:33:28 PM »

Lots & lots of posts in this thread since I was last here so instead of quoting, I'll do a re, re, re etc :-)

I suggested going for slightly more expensive solar panels mainly because of the better "amps per square metre" thing...less visible hardware means more "stealth."
UniSolar (& probably many other brands by now) make totally flexible solar panels - which are like a vinyl pouch with solar cells on one side. Can literally wrap it around the trunk of a tree...totally invisible from the ground.

Next problem: rechargeable "power banks."

These are not ideal for any solar setup, especially when every mA is important.
They're extremely uneconomical, takes a lot of current to charge them & they don't deliver back anywhere near the amount you put in. (without being able to find better words)
This is due to the fact that the 5 volt USB powerbanks actually contain a 3.7 volt Lithium-ion cell. (Usually a single 18650 cell, or 2 in parallel. An 18650 is a common lithium battery used in laptop or power tool packs)
So the input charge (usually 5v from USB port) must be stepped down (or bucked) to 3.7 volts...actually 4.2 volts is when an 18650 is fully charged.
That's only half of it - the output must be stepped up (or boosted) from that 3.7 volts to 5 volts...or at least 4.5v so most phone chargers will start.
All that jazz is done by a very cheap microprocessor built into the pack. (which also controls the LEDs that indicate the charge of the pack) The micro is unable to start with very small currents (ie what a small solar panel gives on a cloudy day)

BIG problem I've found with these Li-Ion packs is they need the power button pressed before they start, and they require a LOT of current to fully charge.

More suited to a solar setup are SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries.

Hehe - c00ter: you're 1st attempt at a water-proofed solar panel looks very similar to my 1st attempt many years ago. :-)

I tried using the glass from an old plasma screen TV...looked perfect...shatter proof glass with an aluminum frame around it :-)
Only problem...the "anti glare" coating also filters out UV, no good as a solar panel shield.

BTW: the reason those 2 panels in the plastic cases lasted longer than the glass panel types is they're polystalline modules, the others are amorphous types. Amorphous panels have a very thin silicon layer laminated onto the glass, something the Chinese have become masters of.

& yes Number7, the sun (specifically UV it emits) destroys solar panels, like just about everything else.
UV breaks down the sealant used to build panels & the minute you expose your new solar panels to the sun it'll start degrading...the silicon cannot produce electricity forever.
If you find out a way that it does please PM me & we'll become billionaires for inventing perpetual motion :-)

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren't your friends.”
“Most of the world's problems could be avoided if people just said what they fucking meant.”
“I've always believed that a person is smart. It's people that are stupid.”
-Marilyn Manson
cOOter
Supporting Member

!!! disco chicken !!!

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2016, 06:42:26 PM »

BIG problem I've found with these Li-Ion packs is they need the power button pressed before they start..

The one I have and the same larger one on eBay don't have that issue.
The button on those is only to show battery level.

Good points on the 5v into 3.7v battery's, then stepped up to 5v out.

When I win the lotto I'll buy Number 7 a 240v PUG (portable uranium generator)
that'll sort him out for the next million years, or what ever the half life of uranium is.

Any bugger that tries to steal the PUG will get radiation zapped.

happy8

GoldCoastCB.com/forum/
Reply #61 on: June 29, 2016, 06:42:26 PM

number7
Supporting Member

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2016, 03:20:52 PM »

****REMOTE SECURITY CAMERA UPDATE - ISSUES****         crybaby2

I now have proper internet and a router that I need to set up the P2P camera that I was hoping to use
Problems are for a start it runs quite hot in the dark indicating to me that it is using a large amount of power to run the IR LEDs
A good 12v battery will probably be able to keep up with demand but it will need to be a big battery I think       icon_scratch

Couldnt work out how to set up the email function or record and playback using the SD card with very poor instructions included with the camera and software bugs,
but the biggest problem is that it seems to be constantly recording and sending wifi - I cant set it to only take motion detected stills
which means it will eat up all my internet gigs very quickly  evil6

I discovered this morning while googling in frustration that I can buy SD card with built in wifi -    protest    WHY HAS NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THIS BEFORE????

This is a great discovery cos it means I can use a wifi SD card in my existing trail cam which runs on AA batteries and can take motion detected stills.
I should then be able to view the pics remotely using the Telstra dongle powered by the Philippino solar panels          hello2

Got all excited and tried to buy a wifi SD card today but no one stocks them - another ebay purchase required and some more wait time.....    Crazy
cOOter
Supporting Member

!!! disco chicken !!!

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »

Problems are for a start it runs quite hot in the dark indicating to me that it is using a large amount of power to run the IR LEDs
The one I have, the LEDS are on all the time. They use fark all power, because after all they are LEDS

A good 12v battery will probably be able to keep up with demand but it will need to be a big battery I think       icon_scratch
An average second hand 12v car battery would be heaps.
That little black piss weak 5v power bank I used as a demo ran the camera for 8+ hours.
A half good car battery with a 5v step down converter would shit on that. We tried to tell you.

Couldn't work out how to set up the email function or record and playback using the SD card with very poor instructions included with the camera and software bugs,
Email function is for motion detection ONLY and is easy.
The SD card stuff is new to me as mine doesn't have it.
I'm always here and happy to have a look.

but the biggest problem is that it seems to be constantly recording and sending wifi
Yes when powered on they are always watching and outputting video-audio back to the router as a wifi signal.

- I cant set it to only take motion detected stills
That's because your email setting arent done yet.

which means it will eat up all my internet gigs very quickly  evil6
No it doesn't. Bandwidth is only used when you remotely (away from the property) log in to view the camera.
Every other time it's only transmitting wifi to the router, which costs nothing but electricity.

I discovered this morning while googling in frustration that I can buy SD card with built in wifi -    protest    WHY HAS NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THIS BEFORE????
They are useless for what you're doing. They are for professional still camera use when the camera is withing 10 meters of a computer so as to download photos easy. Kinda like bluetooth usage. They have no aerial and use the power from the camera etc. Not all camera will except them either.

This is a great discovery cos it means I can use a wifi SD card in my existing trail cam which runs on AA batteries and can take motion detected stills.
You better make sure your trail cameras will accept them other wise you're just wasting money and time.

Got all excited and tried to buy a wifi SD card today but no one stocks them - another ebay purchase required and some more wait time.....    Crazy
Hopefully I replied on time, otherwise you may have blown some money that could have been better spent on a
good second hand car battery etc.

Crazy
GoldCoastCB.com/forum/
Reply #63 on: August 01, 2016, 01:44:13 PM

cOOter
Supporting Member

!!! disco chicken !!!

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2016, 02:30:40 PM »

Eyefi cards have not been tested in time-lapse cameras (such as trail cameras). It is likely that Eyefi cards will not work as expected in this type of camera.

When time-lapse cameras go to sleep, the camera appears to be powered off. However, the card stills receives power. This applies to cameras such as security cameras and similar setups where the camera remains powered on continually for extended periods of time as well.... read more https://x2help.eyefi.com/hc/en-us/articles/448576-Time-Lapse-Cameras-and-Eyefi-Cards

Below is a trail cam user forum where they are asking the same questions...

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/using-wi-fi-sd-cards-in-moultrie-trail-camera.521297/
number7
Supporting Member

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2016, 04:17:49 PM »

Australia Flag

I only found out about eyefi cards because i saw some advertised on ebay as wifi trail cam - looks the same as mine but they include a wifi SD card

Ok so if setting up email and alarm triggering is easy I will probably stick with the original plan however it is still for sale in the mean time      Deak Mic
It was the addresses I had trouble with and tried many different options with no success

Might need your expert assistance with this one c00ter.......  Cool Chicken
GoldCoastCB.com/forum/
Reply #65 on: August 01, 2016, 04:17:49 PM

cOOter
Supporting Member

!!! disco chicken !!!

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2016, 04:56:35 PM »

I only found out about eyefi cards because i saw some advertised on ebay as wifi trail cam - looks the same as mine but they include a wifi SD card

What's the link. I wouldn't go near it unless it\s the exact same make and model that you have.
I found no answers on any of the hunting forums I read thus far.

Ok so if setting up email and alarm triggering is easy
It was the addresses I had trouble with and tried many different options with no success

Step 1: You need a free image hosting service (server)
Not many sites offer free hosting for what we're doing.

Google does though...

Step 1: Join Google's Gmail
Step 2: Go to the camera email setup page in the admin area.

Mine has a drop down tab with Gmail and their settings already filled out.

Below is what my settings look like ..

larger view: http://www.goldcoastcb.com/images/cam_email_settings.jpg

Step 3: Mine has that "save and test" button. If yours does, try it.

If not, save first, then click whatever "test" button there is.

That button tests the email account details, and more importantly,
whether the camera is getting past any firewall
you might have running.

NOTE: That's just the email setup stuff. Turning the motion
detection on and off is done on a different page in my cameras admin.

Yours may as well.

Use the force, Number 7  whip2
cOOter
Supporting Member

!!! disco chicken !!!

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz7F7Vyf-EQ

Very similar set up in this other IPCAM

He's using Gmail as well.
number7
Supporting Member

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2016, 05:56:21 PM »

Yer thats almost the same as how i did mine - I dont have a test button tho..... sad5

I was also using a hotmail address - maybe needs to be gmail

I will give it another go and see what happens

thanks c00ter..... hello
cOOter
Supporting Member

!!! disco chicken !!!

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »

Me home internet ISP fucked up yesterday.

After 4 hours of waiting for them to fix the connection, I
said fuckit, and went and bought a portable 4G wifi router
for $29 at officerworks.

Comes with 4 gig of internet, but only 14 days to use it.

It's branded Optus, but is unlocked (I tried an Aldi-Telstra card in it)

Fuck dongles  Number 7

This has it's own battery inside that supposedly is good for 6 hours.
Probably last a few days with that black external pack.

Crazy Fark, I've never had internet that fast before.

280 kbps down and 80 kbps upload, is the fastest we get on the home line.

The thing can also be used as a wifi extender  Cool Chicken

You know you want one number Number 7
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print

Jump to:  

Anone designed by pixelslot.